Human Resources Senior Management
Chris A. Carlson
16761 N. W. Waterford Way
Portland, Oregon 97229
(503) 645-0809 / Fax (503) 690-9132
Knowledgeable Human Resource management professional experienced in all aspects of human resources: recruitment, interviewing, employee on boarding, policy creation/implementation, employee relations, payroll, training, legal compliance, compensation and benefits.
Also responsible for company safety, worker’s compensation and Corporate Social Responsibility programs.
Creative in problem-solving with excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Experience and Select Accomplishments:
Toyko Ohka Kogyo America, Inc. - Hillsboro, Oregon
1996 ~ Present Deputy General, Manager Human Resources
Managing all human resource functions, including policy creation and implementation, performance appraisals, recruitment, compensation, payroll, benefits administration and employee relations at a manufacturer of high purity chemicals for the semiconductor industry with operations in four states (Oregon, California, Texas and New York).
- Lead the development and implementation of a new intranet based employee performance appraisal system.
- Created a promotion proposal system that required managers to justify to executive management those employees they wished to promote to ensure the promotion was proposed based upon individual merit. The system included a panel interview of peer managers.
- Research and wrote an Employee Relations Manual for managers to use as a guide for dealing with common employee issues.
- Created databases with restricted access as a repository for personnel documents that could be shared with specific department managers.
- Devised and carried out a policy for consistent yet flexible application of employee discipline and termination that made certain that was consistency throughout the company.
- Instituted a program to make presentations to company managers on human resources issues and topics relevant to their respective departments every quarter.
- Established an annual training program for all employees on harassment, including a separate session for managers on how to recognize and investigate harassment.
Shaver Transportation Company - Portland, Oregon 1993~ 1996
PacifiCorp - Portland, Oregon 1987 ~ 1992
Economic Development Department - Area Manager -
Oregon Economic Development Department - Portland,
Oregon 1984 ~ 1987
Japan External Trade Organization - Los Angeles,
California 1980 ~ 1984
Assistant - Business Information
Bachelor of Arts - Anthropology University of Oregon,
Eugene, Oregon 1979
Waseda University, Tokyo, Japan 1978 - 1979
Human Resource Management Certificate Program
Professional Development Center, Portland State University,
Portland, Oregon Spring 2003
Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM)